Collection: Collection Part 2

Research File

First Research140617

16/06/17

Artist Research

Rebecca Horn

The artist's work had a great impact on my vision. The German artist explores the relationship between the body and its environment. The piece called "finger gloves", 

19/06/17

Olafur Eliasson

https://www.dezeen.com/2014/08/19/olafur-eliasson-louisiana-museum-of-modern-art-denmark-giant-landscape-rocks-riverbed/

Eliasson's Site specific installation "stone river landscape" relates to the project "This Place". When I came across the fountain on granary square, I immediately thought of The flowing element of the stone river. The white geometric shapes are placed across the room, leaving the stone river running underneath and that remains the only coloured section. This conveys a serene atmosphere and mild movements, which is a key point that i want to involve in the outcome, too. 

Andy Goldsworthy

Goldsworthy's environmental art pieces have always been a deed praise far and wide in the art community. The ephemeral works don't last forever, and that's another message I want to deliver through my work. Goldsworthy works in the fields and forests near his home in Scotland using natural elements as his media. His pieces have a tendency to collapse, decay and melt. This is a strong message to show that beautiful things sometimes only remain for a short glimpse of time. 

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/08/446731282/sculptor-turns-rain-ice-and-trees-into-ephemeral-works

???? 2017-06-21 ??11.29.24.png

Richard Serra

I received comments on my sketch that I should look at Richard Serra's work because it has an element of building barriers. I am particularly drawn to the piece called "Rounds, equal weight, unequal measure". It is such a pleasure to see these ephemeral thoughts that comes into our minds come to life. Serra's site specific sculptures had demonstrated how sculptures and materials can stand for themselves, or not be forced to serve as vehicles for articulating an artist's emotional and intellectual life. Through his works he explored how an artwork can relate intimately to a specific setting; how it might take up a physical as well as a visual relationship to the viewer. and how it might create spaces (or environments) in which a viewer can experience universal qualities of weight, gravity, agility, and even a kind of meditative repose. These are qualities I'd like to have in my outcome, a physical and emotional experience given to the public and make them relate to the piece. I want to draw the viewers into a "somatic" participation. 

http://www.theartstory.org/artist-serra-richard.htm

quote:" His work has thus unwittingly inspired a host of counter-responses by subsequent generations, who, decidedly in rejection of his histrionic example, turned in the late 1970s and 1980s toward more ephemeral, everyday materials to suggest that art could be monumental without relying on massive, "in your face" substances and formats."

larger.jpg

Jan Svankmajer

This is one of the most preeminent figures in surreal stop- motion films. The Czech artist's vision of connecting a series of "sculptures" or props and making them come true to life is absolutely astonishing. This following image is from a film Svankmajer made in 1998 called "Alice in Wonderland". The stuffed socks starts to move and switch holes, and this led me to thinking about slowing down the action. The gradual movement of these strange ephemeral materials made unusual and the visual impact of real sculptures can never be replaced by animation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2y0Vu-Yq1U???? 2017-03-24 ??1.09.51.png

Library research:

Film and Video Art edited by Stuart Corner

There is an inspiring paragraph:" There is no motion in a motion picture, only the projector moves the strip, pulled along by wheels and sprockets, the protruding teeth to get a grip."

This explains to me how film works and as a beginner who wants to produce a flick book(due to the limited time stop-motion film is not possible to make), understanding the basis of film making is key. IMG_7769 2.JPG

ART AND THE MOVING IMAGE - A CRITICAL READER edited by Tanya Leighton

important quote: " If cinema has already revealed that the world is a flow of images and this world of images is in a state of constant transformation, then video technology causes a further deterritorialization of these flows."

I'd also like to view this world as a constant flow of still images. I've always believed that each glimpse of ephemeral activities are beautiful moments that are not going to repeat again. In this way, it makes me cherish every moment, especially when something quick and magical happens. Since this is something I want to share to people around me, making a flick book as an explanation for a short film is a great plan B.

IMG_7773 2.JPG 

Olafur Eliasson- Unsopken Spaces by Thomas & Hudson

The manipulation of natural elements in this particular artwork in the book has attracted me. It claims that "light is life, light is space, life is space". Sunpath for San Basilio is a heliotropic artwork stretching from the sky to a subterranean, vaulted interior. The rotation of the earth, on which the coming and going of night and day depend, is rediscovered in the 'space-embracing' device that hangs in one of the two subterranean spaces, the rotating ring that hugs the space with a thin, moving line of light. 

This sight-specific sun machine that penetrates the dark interior of the house is also like a motion picture. The concentrated array of sunlight is like a string of hope that lightens up a dark time in life. This work of Elliason's is involving the viewer, inviting them to embody within the space itself. 

IMG_7780 2.JPG

IMG_7782 2.JPG

ZHANG DALI

I find these artworks very intriguing. The action of spreading his spirit around the city is a brave thing to do. As it is quoted in the book:"His heads haunt all coves and corners of the city. On walls, bridges and underpasses these heads have become part of contemporary Beijing's visual and psychological fabric."The most interesting thing about this series of work is the title:"Dialogue". I wondered why Zhang Dali would link the ghostly shapes of side faces to the action of having a conversation with oneself. This is later resolved in the book:" The act of writing on a wall is an innate creative tendency dating back to the dawn of humanity...this head, which can be perceived literally as a caricaturesque profile of a bald man, is at once humorous, indifferent, melancholic, even deadly serious."

IMG_7787.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

STACKED HOTEL ROOM - Adam Dade & Sonya Hanney

Stacked Hotel Room by Adam Dade and Sonya Hanney has a modesty which belies its radical proposition. The coalescence of fixtures and fittings into a sculptural assemblage....The loneliness loaded nature of hotel rooms - their in-betweeness, at once their loneliness and romantic connotations.....Overall, Stacked Hotel Room constitutes an existentialist project, both rigorous and absurd, insisting on other ways of making sense of the world we inhabit. As various pieces of furniture are reorientated and interlocked in a new puzzle, with beautiful economy, the artists are suggesting a vast range of possibilities out of established order."

I like the movements of transformation, and the clean and tidy finish. In fact, I prefer the tackiness of the vintage photographs, and the absurd re-organization of everyday objects.

IMG_7798.JPG

IMG_7806.JPG

Research Project 2: Collection

Roni Horn

Library of Water Stykkisholmur

Horn imagined Library of Water as a place for quiet observation and reflection, "a lighthouse in which the viewer becomes the light. - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/jun/02/art.architecture

The work of Horn uses the method of duplication, filling the whole space with columns of glacier water from 24 different icebergs in Iceland. In this way, water gets permanently archived from glacial sources. In my opinion, this is a great way of collecting the craftsmanship of nature, which is most likely not going to exist in several years time. I personally admire the action of preserving the impermanent, it is not only meaningful to the artist, but also to the public. 

DSC06278.jpg

Tom Friedman

1000 hours of Staring

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/114939

This is a highly conceptual piece of work. "The paper here is the collector. The artist's presence  has been captured by the paper which becomes active". The medium is "Stare on paper", which differentiates from common art materials. 

continent. maps a topology of unstable confluences and ranges across new thinking, traversing interstices and alternate directions in culture, theory, biopolitics and art. Facing a blank canvas or blank page is a moment of pure potential, one that can be enervating or paralyzing. It causes a pause, a hesitation, in anticipation of the finish moment. The blank is almost like a cessation of distraction, which is a good reason for making my pots white so the water from canals can stand out, it's providing a containment instead of taking the attention.

???? 2017-06-27 ??9.25.22.png

Ai Wei Wei

"The largest gallery at the RA will house Straight, Ai Weiwei’s poignant response to the Sichuan earthquake of 2008. Poorly built schools in the Sichuan province – held up by steel rods which twisted and mangled in the quake – were devastated, leaving thousands of students dead. These rods (which Ai had labourers straighten by hand) make up the 90-ton floor-based sculpture, that is laid out in broken undulations recalling fault lines." 

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/ai-weiwei-13-works-to-know

My response to this piece is that it reflects the tragic history of the earthquake and brings out my deep regret. I was lucky enough to visit the piece at the exhibition last year at the Royal Academy, and I did not immediately resonate with the installation/sculpture. However after reading about it, the conceptual and metaphorical presentation stuns me. I remember going through a disastrous period of time when the earthquake happened in 2008, the whole nation went into despair but rebuilt on hope. 

xgrybyyny5csvw3inctd.jpg

Nathalie Djurberg & Hans Berg

This is an exhibition I went to in May, and i was extremely impressed by the creativity and humorous energy. The individual sculptures were placed together to form a collection, however as I proceed to the another room, the sculptures were put together to make into a short film. It was interesting to see the stop motion film and the props used in the same exhibition. It was a great viewing experience and shows that collections don't always exist in a three dimensional form, but also can be transform into videos. 

IMG_5404.JPG

FullSizeRender 222.jpg

Image